Monday, April 23, 2012

So far - So good

My weekend warrior hunting adventure went well. I bagged my second turkey of the season on public Land, April 21, 2012. The first one out of KS, and this second one in MO. What was special about my second turkey was a few things. First,and foremost, I dedicated the hunt to my neighbor, Charlie, who suffered a heart attack last week. Secondly,it was my first time hunting with a shotgun: my choice for this special hunt - a Remington 870. What a piece, tipped with a True Glo turkey choke. Thirdly, I got it all on film! I used locator calls to no avail. The birds were quiet. For a minute, there, I thought I had to woods all to myself. I proceeded to execute a "fly down" series, flapping my cap, followed with an aggressive sequence of yelping & cutting once "on the ground". Still, silence. Every half hour after that I'd go with some soft calling. My old Primos freak slate call still does the trick for some awesome purring. Finally, after over two hours waiting for something to happen, butt-cheeks cramping and not feeling my legs, I saw what all turkey hunters have (or at least should) experience.., a bird's face with the RED "spot" sticking out of the wood'd edge. Bingo, what a sight! Now, it was a matter of getting its attention, and did just that loudly with my mouth diaphram reed. Adding to the realism, the Primos Killer B full strut decoy, a bedded hen, and a Jake worked like a charm. 20+ minutes of making his way seemed like hours! After going postal on the jake & hen, the roar of the ole Remi was all that that was heard echoing. I WILL be posting the video soon. Lastly, how blessed I am to have the opportunity to do what I love, to share my story with friends & family!
I have two tags left - one for KS & one for MO. I am on a mission to tag out using my favorite archery equipment: My Quest Bow, Carbon Express Arrows tipped with the Shred'r bh. Lethal, I'm telling you. Just saying. -"Don't Quit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment