Thursday, July 26, 2012

NAP's "KILLZONE" BROADHEAD: First Impression (IMO)

FIRST AND FOREMOST: I AM A BOTTOMLINE BELIEVER IN SHOT PLACEMENT! A SHOT WELL PLACED IN THE KILLZONE (no pun intended) with ANY BROADHEAD WILL KILL ITS TARGET! WE ALL KNOW NOT ALL SHOTS ARE PERFECT AND NOT ALL BROADHEADS PROVIDE A QUALITY BLOOD TRAIL FOR THAT IMPERFECT SHOT.

I’ve been searching for a mechanical broadhead that gives me confidence when I walk afield: larger cutting diameter, great performance, and reliability. I’ve tried ONE, before! It made me sick how much I had to “baby sit” it. Pre-deployment, dry rot o-rings/band failure, hard to replace blades, NOISY while in quiver…, ugh! Did I kill game with it? Yes, but I could have killed more!

I currently shoot a fixed blade broadhead -no moving parts, less chances for failure. With a fixed blade bh, the only way I will fail, IMO, is due to shooter error and lack of woodsmanship and archery skills (bow tuning, broadhead alignment, fletching, etc.) This is not a post to “educate” you on broadhead selection or tips on tuning your bow, but to give a humble opinion. So here I go with my “FIRST IMPRESSION” on NAP’s KILLZONE broadhead:

1. Tips: I was pleased the KILLZONE gave me options in that department. I chose the chisel tip over the cut-on-contact, because I want it to crush though a bone in case of an imperfect shot to the near shoulder, for example. This happened with its competitor - the tip bent preventing it from potentially reaching vitals.
2. Noise: IT’S QUIET! This bh remains so even when shaking it vigorously. I tested the broadhead inserted to an arrow shaft, swung the shaft hitting my fingers and palm of my hand – never made unwanted noise! The other bh I used prior, same test, rattled and made too much noise.
3. Feel: I am not a scientist, but just touching the blades, I felt the difference in sturdiness. They did not feel fragile!
4. No o-rings, No rubber bands!: With its locking mechanism, no noise & no blade pre-deployment.
5. Cutting diameter capability: Are you kidding? Like its competitor’s, a 2 inch cutting diameter is HUGE! Blood trail – are you kidding me? The only way to miss the blood trail is if you are color blind. NOTE: A debate I had in the past – THIS IS NOT A “LICENSE” TO TAKE BAD/LOW PERCENTAGE SHOTS!!! A reader on another site misunderstood (and eventually he saw my point and gave in, lol). A larger cutting diameter may turn that marginal shot into a better shot. Maybe it reaches that artery the 1-1 ¼” could not. It will open the wound more as to prevent coagulation, thus loss of blood trail.
6. Weight: I shoot 100 gr, so I’m am fine, but I’d like to see 85 gr or 125 gr options for others.

I have not shot this broadhead…., YET. I want to be clear, I do not know how it performs when shot. My next review will be on its flight and impact on practice targets. Let’s see where it takes us.

Visit: http://newarchery.com/products/1-67/broadheads/killzone.html
HuntingFreakzAdventures.com is not affiliated with NAP. This is an independent opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment