Saturday, July 21, 2012

One-Shot Exercise

Well, fellow bowhunters and huntresses, season is approaching upon us. Are you ready for the moment of truth - to make the first shot count?

Personally, early season is my favorite time to hunt, second to pre-rut and late season. The rut is phenomenal, and is when most deer take a dirt nap, but very unpredictable. IMO, when it comes to predictability, there's most certainly a rush when it comes to hunting whitetails, especially in public land. To predict deer movement, I must depend on my woodsmanship via scouting, understanding food source, stand placement, scent control etc., not just luck - hoping I'm in the right spot, at the right time.

I say the above to say this: I've prepared all off-season by participating in my archery clubs. Besides staying in "bowhunting" condition (back muscles/tension, breathing, muscle memory, etc.), I've really worked on my mental aspect by putting myself in the presence of pressure shots. That means shooting in front many eyes watching, shooting next to archery experts in tournaments, you get the point. I was able to block out the surroundings as to allow me to focus on shot placement and follow through. Yes, I am talking about reducing the "buck fever" phenomena!

Now that I've got that somewhat in control, lol, I love to follow and strongly recommend what whitetail and archery expert, RANDY ULMER, talked about a few years back to get prepared for THE shot: for five days, after work (or what not), shoot one arrow ONLY! This has a few intentions:

1. It prevents you from making unconscious adjustments on your second, third, plus shots - instead of making "REAL" adjustments. Meaning, you don't adjust your anchor point, your grip, bow arm. You don't "stretch" or lower your head to see better through your peep. You don't hold "just a little" to the right or left, up or down. Assuming (I hate that :/) that you have stayed in bowhunting condition, your adjustment will be on your pin - "follow the arrow". If you shoot left of the target, move your pin to the left. If you shoot high, move your pin up, and so on and so forth.
2. It allows to deepen your connection with your bow and its feel before and after the shot. You'll pay more attention to sound, slight rattles, etc. It will help notice the condition of our strings, rest, etc. more in depth.
3. It mocks an actual and more realistic situation -a one shot opportunity! It's rare you get a second chance shot at a deer when bowhunting. I've had them, I won't deny it, but they are rare. So you have to make that first shot count!

Don't forget to practice the way you are going to play (like my football coach used to say)- in this case, hunt. You may do this one shot exercise from your blind, tree stand, or a combination of. Remember, it is very tempting to shoot multiple arrows, but at the end of the day, this is just a suggestion. Whatever ups YOUR game, good luck, be safe, and God Bless!

2 comments: