Saturday, March 16, 2013

Kuddos To This Family

March 16, 2013 - another 3D Shoot. I was running late to meet my buddies. I was hoping to be there to start showing off whatever skills I have, nothing to brag about. We went through the cold day, shooting one arrow at a time, cracking jokes (especially at the expense of Hoyt bow shooters). In that group I was so honored to be with was Mark of @SoleAdventure, Joe, @slsgdad (follow them on twitter), and three other outstanding individuals. There was no shortage of laughter. I wonder if we were there to shoot, compete, or socialize. I say all of the above - it's supposed to be fun! Fun we had, let me tell you.

But as we went through the range, I could not stop thinking of a family I was so honored to meet. It was meant for me to be late, otherwise, I would not have seen such an inspirational sight. Oh, the emotions. It would take too many words to describe.

Before I brag about them, I want to explain why it had such a huge impact on me. It entails some self-disclosure, a matter I seldom visit. To start, I never had a father. What father figure I had, died when I was a just learning to feel what having a male role model in my life (RIP, Mr. Moody). My sister and I did not have the closest relationship due to uncontrolled circumstances. My mother, passed a few years later. Recently, I've had some personal challenges in life. Last, I am passionate about my children and a lover of the God blessed outdoors!

Now the stars of this blog: The Merli Family. I don't know them nor did I interview them in depth, but saw the "big picture": three bows, a proud gentlemen standing beside each younger shooter as they took their turn to shoot, and a woman being the quiet, but strong & supportive, onlooker. WOW! The intense focus of the young shooters was amazing. I noticed how the father shot, but was more focused on his off-springs' experience - from their stance to what pin to use. Seven year old Adam was shooting a Diamond. His sister Courtney, 13, and both were participating on their first 3D shoot. I can't imagine how the proud parents felt. I introduced myself, asked permission to take pictures, and with a big smile (I couldn't contain myself), I told them how awesome it was to see them all there. It was a long shoot, so they may have left earlier than expected because I didn't see them after a while. Now, one confession before I go on. I was behind them at target #5, I heard Courtney shot a ten, AND I FELT PRESSURE!!! hahahaha. It takes a man to admit it, so I admit it. (I did shoot a ten on it, too, but Courtney - you made me a nervous wreck).


To the Merli Family, wherever you are - God bless. Mom, a big, nah..., a mega-huge thanks to you. It's not easy to get up, not be an active participant, be cold, and stand proudly and supportive. Dad, you kick ass. Keep that patience up, the passion, the passing on of tradition. Adam and Courtney, keep up the good work, miss small, and may all your dreams come true. From time to time, don't forget to just say "Thank you, mom/dad", just because. "Hasta luego, amigos!"

No comments:

Post a Comment