Monday, March 11, 2013

BUYING "BEGINNER'S BOW" : Tips

What is the right bow to buy for a beginner? What is the best beginner bow? Million dollar questions, those are. And because I am not an expert, I will not write like I know what I am talking about - I just might confuse myself further. So I will humbly share my opinion and at the end is a link that goes into further detail for purchasing a bow. Remember, I am not a professional, I am an experienced archer and bowhunter - that's all.

1. Beware of the commercials and testimonials of "professionals". I fell victim to a bow from one of the leading manufacturers with a new "double cam series" and it bragged about being the fastest bow on the market. Ha, I did not own that bow for two weeks before I found a new owner for it. Speed speed speed became the selling point for many bows. Now, that same manufacturer has slowed their bows down, realized they were sacrificing the important traits, I personally look for: Control, balance, smoothness on the draw, let-off, noise control, bow weight, and a SMOOTH SHOT! Remember, one example as to why speed is not a selling point to me - no matter how fast the bow is, a whitetail will always be faster (sound travels faster the arrow resulting on deer jumping the string. Many speed bows have been humbled, or should I say, bowhunters).

2. If the bow is for a youth, make sure that bow "grows" with him/her. Some bows have very limited length draws. Others, you have to change the cam for every length adjustment you have to make. That can get expen$ive.

3. Whether the bow is for a youth or an adult, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY A BOW WITH ALL THE BELL$ AND WHISTLE$!! Nowadays, with the technology and advancements made with modern day compound bows, an inexpensive bow out performs the high-end/expen$ive bows of just a few years. Make sure you, he, she is hooked first before moving on the "next" level.

4. Peer Pressure : "Friends don't let friends shoot Hoyt", or "I swear by my Hoyt". "Mathews is the only bow I will ever shoot". Diamond, PSE, BowTech, G5  Then there's me. I've owned multiple manufacturer, some not even well known. Now I am a proud member of the Elite Archery family and  new owner a Pulse bow! There's also a wonderful tweep of mine, Mark - an outstanding blogger, writer, individual, and Pro-Staffer for Elite Archery. He LOVES his Elite (click here to learn more about Mark of Sole Adventure). 

5. I included #4 to say this (and my friends make fun of me when I give this advise, BUT IT MAKES SENSE - if you really think about it): LET THE BOW CHOOSE YOU!! I can't emphasize how important this part of the process is. Before I purchased my last bow, I shot different  manufacturers' bows, similar specs, and that Elite Pulse just spoke to me. When I shoot a new bow, I close my eyes and connect with that bow & that's what I did yesterday with the Elite Pulse, as well.  Weird? Try it or let the potential buyer try it, and you will thank me later, lol.

In short, do your homework and good luck with the purchase and journey. God Bless. BTW, thank you Mark, Oak Grove Archery, and Elite Archery

Guide to help buy a compound bow

6 comments:

  1. My biggest piece of advice for buying your first bow would be to test them out first!! Go to an experienced archery store, talk to the guys about what you want and what you're looking for and then actually shoot all the bows you're interested in... Bows are personal. It's worth the extra effort to find something that fits all your specifications and needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome advice! Thank you for your feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tips are just a life saver. Thanks. I'm giving a gift to my nephew who just started bow hunting. So the best beginner compound bow would be the ideal gift for him. thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck! Thank you for supporting youth archery and hunting. Keep us posted.

      Delete
  4. I have read your post. Thank's for tips. Informative and interesting which we share with you so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts. I am tiring the same best work from me in the future as well. bowninja.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, Some bows have very limited length draws. Anw, Thank you for your brilliant post!
    adventurefootstep

    ReplyDelete