Monday, October 21, 2013

Mental Weakness

You know, tonight's hunt started off full of optimism. I headed out after a long day of work. I decided to hunt a favorite spot because the wind was perfect, and I had a gut feeling the buck I missed opening day was  still calling that area his sleeping quarters.

I wasn't wrong.

At 5:45 p.m., the first doe showed up. Then the second, third, and fourth.  They grazed & played a bit.  All of the sudden, they spooked..., somewhat.  They were actually pushed out of the way by a buck making his presence with a dominant demeanor.  He was hooking and trashing some small trees & saplings. What a sight.

I had already ranged & re-ranged the surrounding "marks". I had this.  I waited patiently. No big deal.  I already had told myself I was going to hold at 32 yards, on the heart area to ensure a lethal hit in case he jumped the string.

At 6:05 the moment of truth presented itself.  I second guessed myself. SHAME ON ME!!! You see, I miss judged him the first time, and undershot the buck.  This time, I held a little higher at the last second. I squeezed the release. The shot was high!!

I failed myself, but more than that, I failed the animal. How sick is that? I failed the animal I was aiming to kill? YES!  He deserved better. Pass on him, miss him, or kill him. He's roaming around wounded, if he doesn't get overtaken by coyotes. I knew as soon as I'd let go of the arrow it was bad.  Have you ever shot at a target and realized it was a poor/bad shot the SECOND it was made? That's how I felt. 

I consider myself a dedicated archer, and fairly good shot. I consider myself an experienced hunter, meaning I practice hunting scenarios, have killed my share of game, have tracked, etc. etc. So what happened? It's not a lack of practice, physical skill or talent.

I attribute tonight's epic failure to mental weakness.  It happened tonight. I was mentally weak tonight. I have lost few deer to coyotes. I have missed my share, too. But wounded..., knowing I have made a bad shot, my second (on a buck, for that matter). 

I am being hard on myself, I guess. I think I should. I need to improve on my mental toughness. The game I pursue deserve that "true hunter" mentality.

Simply said, it's difficult to know I have wounded an animal. Hunting never gets old, but wounding a whitetail, I never will get used to it (not should I).

I guarantee this. I will be commited to strengthening that faulty metal link.

After two hours of tracking, loss of blood, I called it. Rain tomorrow lessens my chances of a successful, quality tracking duty.  I'll go back, regardless.

I am a hunter.

God bless. 

1 comment:

  1. Sooner or later, it'll happen to every bowhunter. What sets you apart, Alex, is how you respond to this. As you've already mentioned, you'll track and track and track. But not only that - you'll take the time to reflect (as you have done), learn, and become that much better. Kudos to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete