Friday, October 4, 2013

My 2013 IL Archery Opening Week

Well, my friends, it is here, the much awaited 2013 IL hunting season. Time to put all the pieces of the puzzle together, from archery equipment, to archery and hunting tips.  Time has come for me to practice what I preach, and thus, this is how opening week has gone for me, so far:

I'd just got back from a magnificent trip, and apparently lost track of what day it was.  Thinking it was Sunday, I set my alarm to wake up at 4...., it was TUESDAY!! Needless to say, I ran a bit late on opening day, but managed to make it.  The morning hunt yielded an awesome encounter with a young spike and the admiration of experiencing the woods coming to life.  I can't stress  enough how special it is to be alive, be able to enjoy a passion, and how much this piece of public realestate means to me.

(This was a bitter-sweet day. As I rode my bike to my hunting location, my thoughts were with my hunting freakz buddies, Kyle and Rudy.  We used to make the ride together. Kyle retired, then it was Rudy and I. Rudy transferred (coast guard), now I'm solo. We made so many memories.)

The evening hunt did not lack it's hiccups.  Hunter error 1: I forgot my hunting pants! Yes, I laughed & laughed. I made fun of myself. Hunter error 2: I misjudged a mature buck and missed. I had been videotaping a buck that was bedded close to me. I made a decision to pass on him, being that it is early in the season, and that my NR tag is expensive.  However, as I was taping him, I made some contact/social grunts with my mouth. Out of my left side, storms in a smaller rack buck, but mature.  Chocolate horn. Heavy bases. It happened so quickly, the younger buck got a bit startled.  I settled my pin on the mature buck, and yes, I missed. Unfortunately, because of how fast things transpired, I wasn't able to get the camera on that buck. But what an encounter!

(Check out the vid & don't forget to view the simple pics)

The second day I skipped because the wind just was no right for the hot spot, the  "Killing Tree".

On the third day, winds were once again perfect. I went through my ritual and settled on the stand.  I knew deer were going to begin to move around 6 p.m., and sure enough, they did.  No bucks, just does. The first one came toward me, but never got to within 30 yards. The next two made their way also.  They read the script and came within my shooting comfort range.  As soon as the first doe gave me a broadside shot, I settled my HHA Sports Optimizer pin, and the rest is history - no tracking required.  I had just killed my trophy, a pressured public land whitetail. 

My approach and tactics to hunt this piece of dirt hold true .  The grueling 2 mile ride each pays off, especially when hauling a deer, and I'll do it all over again. Let me remind you why it pays off. IT'S A HEAVILY HUNTED AREA! How awesome it is to be able to see deer more often than not, to film, to take a shot, to have multiple encounters, being able to "pass" on deer, and just be on them in general? It's a rush, let me tell you. I don't kill a lot of deer, but one here & there is a lot for this area, IMO.

(check out my tips

Well, I've ensured meat in the freezer, I thank God for what he has provided, and look forward to more meat......, with an added bonus of a mature buck.

Good luck to everyone this season, may your freezers be filled with backstraps and your homes with joy. God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment