Saturday, January 25, 2014

Outdoors: A Conduit For Teaching. When is the right time to introduce young......

Outdoors is a conduit, a tool, a catalyst concept for teaching our young children many-a-life lessons. Start now.
When is the right time to introduce young ones to the outdoors?
My answer is in a form of a question: Is there a right age to start creating memories within a parent-child-family relationship? 

Isn't it dangerous? 
It's more dangerous NOT to teach the respective child the RIGHT, FUN, and SAFE way to handle a "weapon", to conduct an activity, to build HUMAN relationships, and SOCIAL SKILLS.

Check out my son SHOOTING HIS WEAPON (BOW): VIDEO

Believe me, parents, whether via news, tv, movies, computers, etc., "most" children see & know more about the things you don't want them involved in, than you think. Caution: don't be naive or in denial. 

Take the "bull by the horn" and teach them...., "right".

My 24 year old son remembers playing baseball with me when he was just 7, running in the sandy country of Texas.

My 21 year old daughter remembers going to cockfights with me (a tradition in my family - WHERE LEGAL) when she was just 8, going fishing, boxing (yes, boxing).

Now, I'm sharing my passions with my 3 (soon-to-be), 4 year old. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!

My 3 year old recently went with me to the indoor archery range. He blew fellow archers' minds with his patience, ability, and learning, and other RESPECTable skills:


1. He learned to wait his turn to shoot. 
2. He learned to wait to retrieve his arrows AFTER everyone else was done shooting (safety).
3. He bettered himself in technique.
4. He learned about, while waiting his turn to shoot, to stand behind the "line".
5. He helped by giving me arrows - when it was my turn to shoot (team playing).
6. He socialized. My son got along and hit it off with my dear friend, Joe.
7. He learned about not being disappointed with "missed" shots (good self-esteem).
8. He spent time with his father. This day - no iPad, no iPhone, no TV, computer, or other electronic-technology gadget or devise, no "sit-on-your-ass" moment could replace this "father-son-memory-creating-kick-ass" moment! The outdoors WON!

WE SPENT TIME TOGETHER AND HAD FUN, FUN, FUN!!!


Don't forget you will inadvertently (or not) introduce him/her about to second amendment, bill of rights, laws, thus, making great & lawful citizens and future supporters of the outdoors.

(Depending on your child's age, click on the link by my friends at Wide Open Spaces: How to Teach Your Kids Archery: Establishing Eye Dominance).

At my little one's age - a knocking point, aiming right, catching a big fish, hitting a home run, winning, chest pumping, etc., are secondary. FUN is primary.

Protect your child from complacency, apathy, and that wicked sense of entitlement - use God's outdoors to help you.

Be creative, and get "out there" with him, her, them. They will learn. They will remember. 

Can't afford it? 

My most memorable fishing outings are at poorest times of my life, in Mexico. No, I didn't walk to school bare foot, 6 miles, at 30 degrees below zero. However, We couldn't afford fishing poles, much less the latest and greatest stuff. I fished with rigged "nets" or fishing hooks & line we'd find, tie a stick, insert in a soda can, and use rocks or nuts as weights and VOILA!

I don't remember how many fish I/we caught. I remember having fun with my family: cousins, uncles, friends, mom (no father).

We played baseball with old balls, sticks, and whatever we could use as bases. 

We hunted rabbit in a very humble, unconventional way - not with high powered firearms or double cam, 715 IBO bows that cost 10k, on average (ok, that an obvious exaggeration to make a point). 

For more resources and help, look for:

NWTF Chapters.
Hunter Ed Classes
Check for programs like www.SOElive.com (Student Outdoor Experience)
Cub/Boy/Girl Scouts
Local Community Centers
Other "outdoor" & sports/hunting/archery clubs
Go to local bowling alley
YMCA/YWCA
Talk to friends
Go on nature walks, go feed the ducks, go to local aquariums (my son loves Bass Pro's and Cabela's), petting zoos, camp out on the back yard (if possible) or simply go on camping trips.

What's awesome, most have ways of helping out (thanks to funds from United Way, and other foundations through Departments of Natural Resources, NWTF, etc).

Get up, get out, and have fun. PERIOD!
Create long lasting, lifetime memories (take pictures and smile lots). I know my oldest son & mom will do a fantastic job with my grandson. 

GOD BLESS!

Pro-Staff

No comments:

Post a Comment