Monday, May 14, 2012

IT'S PUBLIC LAND!!

“I arrived one hour before daylight to set up where you told me you’d seen some birds. There was one hammering away and I began to work him. That gobbler was coming in on a B line and outta nowhere, comes this yahoo walking the field with all his hunting gear, at prime time, just after the birds had flown off the roost. This bird was already at about 75 yards and he flew to the private side and out of sight. The guy didn’t show a care in the world, and went about his business !!” This is the reason many hunters have only bad things to say about public land hunting. If you hunt public land, you’ve probably heard similar stories to this before. This one (I summarized and clean up to serve the purpose) was told by my dear friend on his last day of IL season. He called me while still afield. Needless to say – he was fuming. Sadly and to no surprise, I felt his pain, for many of my hunts have ended in similar fashion. Here is my story, one of the stories: I was in a prime location on opening day last year. I’d scouted, cut shooting lanes, planned my entry, and anxiously awaited the moment. My set-up (NOT MY SPOT), was in a transition point deer were using to head back to bedding. However, this public land spot was twenty yards from a levy used as an access route by dove, duck, turkey, squirrel, anything legal hunters, including me. I, too, was in place and arrow knocked by 5:15 a.m., allowing plenty of time for things to settle down. At what I considered “prime-time”, does began heading my way. All of a sudden, a young man (hunter) comes walking up the levy with bow in hand, blind on his back, full camo, and a buck decoy. No attempt on his behalf to be discrete on his approach. NO ATTEMPT. All I heard was some blowing and saw white flags scattering away. Hunt was over. I ripped into this hunter. “What are you doing?!! I know this is public land. I know this is your land – but it is mine, too!! Do your homework like I do. Get up early like the rest of the hunters you’ve just ruined the hunt for and don’t even know it!! Learn about deer and about hunting them before you come out!!” blah, blah, blah. I was super ticked. I also cleaned up this story a bit  All I have to say is, I know how my friend felt. I know how frustrated he was. In reality, I hope “those” “hunters” learned a valuable lesson. God bless the young man that I lashed at, because now that I think about it, he really was into it. His heart was in the right place. He walked quite a bit, loaded with all the gadgets, maybe he’d just finish watching a hunting TV show the night before. No lack of motivation on his end. Moral of the story: “It’s public land!” That’s what I keep reminding myself. Chances are it won’t be the last time it happens. Public land blown hunts by others is like missing; if you have hunted enough - IT WILL HAPPEN! I will say this, IMO, that’s why public land success feels so rewarding. I feel like an accomplished hunter, a bowhunter for that matter. I feel grateful for all the memories and friendships I’ve developed on all public lands. I mean, am I not blessed to even be able to hunt, from rights to health? Public land blown hunts are a small price to pay. What would you do? How would you react? I can’t imagine land owners having their hunts ruined by trespassers. In that aspect, my buddy and I don’t have it as bad. "Don't Quit!", just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment