Thursday, May 31, 2012

"SPOT SHOOTER" ROOKIE!



Yes, I repeat myself on my hunting trajectory…, 15 years of bowhunting. But even a bowhunter (at least in my case) gets stuck in a paradigm. “I am a bad a--shooter”, “I don’t need a scope – it’s too easy”, “I prefer to score lower than ‘those’ target shooters”, etc., etc. IGNORANCE flowed through veins like watered down blood. I don’t apologize for my ignorance, but instead appreciate God for giving me the opportunity to try something new. I did it! I broke free from that paradigm that held me captive in the same world that I love.., the world of archery. Hunter set-up vs Target set-up - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I also appreciate God for the patience shooters in my archery club have extended me – not one has told me “I told you so” (in reference to letting me know it not as easy as it looks). Please understand I was not arrogant with my refusal to try a target set-up, but possibly scared of letting my “bowhunter” guard down. Maybe I just wanted to preserve what I consider the “bowhunter machismo”.

This past Tuesday, I shot my first “official” 14 target, 56 arrow outdoor round. I shot a lower score with my Sure-Loc, 4x scope, top of the end sight than my typical “bowhunter” set-up. I was floored. I was humbled deeply, and was vocal with my fellow archers how much respect I have gained for their shooting skill, for their precision. I told a fellow twitter blogger that a 50-60 yard paper plate is acceptable when preparing for a 20-30 yard hunting scenario. If we don’t hit dead center of the plate, we (at least I do) say, “It’s still a dead deer”. It’s almost like we are in denial that a few inches may end up being a missed shot, or worse, a wounded and/or lost animal. I failed to push myself to a higher quality of shooting, to a higher standard of precision.

Target shooting, even with a sight with all the bells and whistles, means nothing with without the purest forms of stance, form, breathing, CONCENTRATION, squeezing the trigger, respecting the bubble (level), feeling the shot, etc., etc. I have lowered my draw to 60 lbs. from 70 lbs. “Don” and “Bill”, tournament shooters, some of the best target shooters I personally know in their respective age groups, and fantastic individuals, have taken me under their wings. Although they know my “hard-core-hunter” status, they also know I am a beginner…., again. This new challenge I have taken on by no means signifies I will be a tournament champion. I am doing this for fun, for me. I also know this will make me a better bowhunter in the sense of precision shooting. I realize I have a lot of work ahead of me, and have lots of room from improvement, no doubt. Hey, what can I say, there's no shame to say - I am a proud “SPOT SHOOTER” ROOKIE!.

No comments:

Post a Comment