Sunday, August 11, 2013

Random Thoughts On: Encouraging - NOT Discouraging Future #OUTDOORSFAMILY Members

The following is not so much a tip, but thoughts based on a recent experience. It's not about how to kill a 190" Class buck, or to tell you how knowledgeable I am at the subject at hand. All the experts can kiss my ass. I am an outdoorsman, bowhunter, and father advocating for my son, my passion, and future leaders and outdoors members:

My fellow club members and I showed up at our #archery range for our weekly shoot (learn more on our club via the Tweep Shoot). WE intercepted a small group of high school-age teens heading into the range, bows in hand, WITHOUT HUNTER (safety) ORANGE. Conservation posted a sign advising visitors/shooters it is mandatory to wear some sort of hunter orange (cap, vest, shirt, etc.). One of our club members approached the youth in a slightly confrontational manner (not on purpose, but nevertheless). She threatened them with the fact they may get a hefty fine for not wearing hunter orange. Not surprisingly, her approach was met with sarcastic, apathetic behavior of the group "leader". Let me make it clear about my fellow club member that approached these youngsters: she is a wonderful person & passionate archer. I know she only wants the best for the range and club, and wants people to be safe and follow rules.

That's when I stepped in!

I could have scolded or ridiculed the young man leading the pack (girlfriend present), but I didn't. I used these methods to ENCOURAGE - NOT DISCOURAGE:

Show Appreciation: I THANKED them for coming to shoot at the range. After all, they are the future of our passion, could be gang banging, or playing video games (you get the point). Oh, yeah, at their age, was a smart-ass at times. O.k., most of the time. (back-hand to unreasonable adults) Hey, morons, these young adults are at the park, WITH THEIR BOWS. That's something I, we need to see more. CELEBRATE THIS & take a chill pill! My Fact: I've seen more adults breaking the rules than young people.

Show Respect: I asked the "lead" teen what kind of bow he shot. When he showed me his Mathews, I gave him thumbs up. I made all of them feel I wasn't better than them, but that we are an #archeryfamily.

Remind about Safety & Purpose: I took advantage of the dialogue to lobby for safety and the range. I told the whole group to forget about the ticket/fine. I placed importance on THEIR safety. I really showed concern about them getting hurt uselessly (shot by accident). By one of them getting hurt, the range could face closure. That meant hundreds of archers & bowhunters that love the same, will not have an awesome range available.

Show them Pride and Ownership: I asked them, "Do you all bowhunt? Are you all bowhunters? They were proud to answer "YES". They took ownership on their "bowhunter" status. That's when I went into "wake-them-up" mode! "We should represent bowhunters with PRIDE". "As bowhunters, we (I included myself - #OUTDOORSFAMILY) must have integrity. We must follow rules and regulations - and at this range, it's no exception". They stared at me like, "wow, this dude makes sense".

Be Informative and Encouraging: I invited them over to "our table", and told them we were a small club. I pulled out my humble $3.00, handed it over to our treasurer, looked at them and said: "This small contribution, this small group of archers, and our love for archery placed those backstops, targets, cleared lanes, cleaned debris, etc., and repeat as needed for you, the public, and us. We receive absolutely no support from local, state, federal, or corporate agencies. Enjoy the range and be safe".

Show them Care: I and another club member carry extra hunter orange garments. He and I outfitted the young bowhunters with what they needed to enjoy the range.

Mentor, Teach, Support: When we caught up to the young group on the range, my shooting partner (and recent Senior National Champ - Ohio), provided them with some tips. I helped them spot their shots. We allowed them to take their time, and encouraged them to focus on their follow-through.

Show Respect (yes, I'm repeating this one): I gave them high-fives (in a "cool" fashion - I think, lol), wished them luck on their shooting, success on their hunting journey, and as they were leaving, I shouted - "Be Safe, see y'all soon!"

The following week, they showed up....., again ! The young lady, shot better than her BF at 20 yards, lol! All of them had orange. They ALL made sure to say "hi". Bragging time: One young man bought an HHA sight, woot woot! That, my friends, is what the outdoors is all about.

My agenda? Be it no secret: welcome more young people to the outdoors (archery & bowhunting, in my case), keep them involved in the outdoors, and KEEP OUR ARCHERY RANGE OPEN so that my 3 year old son, I, and hundreds more may keep enjoying what God gave us - Nature and the Outdoors. I am lucky to be part of this culture, this community, to be a member of multiple archery clubs, and to be part of a kick-ass, informal social group - the #LOUCREW!

What are YOUR thoughts? What are you doing to better your #outdoorsfamily, #huntingfamily, #archeryfamily?

No comments:

Post a Comment