Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Single Pin or Multiple Pin? My thoughts

What's better, a single pin or multiple pin? Loaded question, but like always, I don't bring you scientific proof, just my thoughts based on experience. I couldn't wait to get home to write this blog, especially after my buddy kicked some major ass (especially mine) using a multiple pin sight. Hence: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! (see pics below)

An Original Comment: "Just imagine this: You are calling in a bull elk. You call him into 50 yards. You dial in your one pin sight to 50 and then draw back to full draw. Then, suddenly he comes in to 30 yards. What do you do now? You would have to let your draw down, adjust your pin, draw back again, and hope that while doing all of this he won't spook and run for it! There are just way to many what if's and unknowns for me to want to buy a one pin sight. Keep it simple and buy a nice 5 pin sight from spot hogg and you wont be sorry!"

Response to the comment: "Then again if you leave your sight set on 30 and practice enough and know where your arrow will hit at 50 and he decides to present a shot at 30 then no worries. Don't knock it till you try it just sayin"

I opened up this write-up with the above quoted comments for a couple of reasons.  One, this topic came up at our Tweep Shoot.  Two, it's a valid concern that's discussed in multiple forums.  Three, just recently, I got confronted by a similar situation at Bass Pro Shops by a fellow #loucrew member who really did not know what to make of the multiple-pin vs a single pin. So, of course, me being opinionated, I gave him a response to his question (more of a point) without skipping a beat & breath. My answer was instinctive!

His question (paraphrased): "What if the deer comes in, and spooks? I'm not going to have time to let down, release my release, and adjust the single pin to take the shot."

My Response (also paraphrased): "First of all, you have to know what your limit to shoot is - 20, 30, 40 yards, etc. I do not shoot over 30 yards. Period! I get on the tree, or even if I'm in the ground, I know where my 30 yard limit is at. In addition, if the deer is spooks, leaves out of your range, what does it matter? Chances are, with buck fever in mind, you shoot and BAM - the deer jumps the string. If you are using a single pin, IT IS THE SHOOTER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW THE BOW, WELL! Practice with a single pin. Know how your bow shoots. I set mine at 25 yards. I'm good up to 30 yards WITHOUT having to move it because I practice, practice, practice. Then I practice a hunting scenario, over & over. Too, I already know I will NOT shoot over 30 yards. IF, and only, IF your shot comfort zone is over 30, let's say up to 40, there is plenty of time to adjust the sight IF the deer is calm. If the deer is nervous or spooked, it won't make a difference - DON'T take an irresponsible shot."

I think I almost passed out trying to respond all with one breath. I forgot to tell him, with today's bows' speeds, a single pin will go far (no pun intended) for a hunting situation. The second, and third pins are not major factors (in my case).  

Alex's logic:
1.  Fast bow + multiple pin sight = clutter
2.  Slower bows + any type of sight = are you really thinking of freaky shots while a deer or elk is spooked? I would think a responsible bowhunter will practice hunting shots & scenarios with the least probability of wounding the animal.
3.  Quality sight + single pin = simple

I personally have shot more deer with a FIXED single pin. Why? Because I knew what shot I was or was not going to take. Why? Because I knew my bow. Why? Because I knew my comfort range - my established limit as to how far I felt comfortable and responsible taking the best shot possible. Why? Because of good, reliable equipment, which resulted in confidence. Did I mentioned I practiced?

I, too, will admit, that I did use the wrong pin back in the day when I used multiple pins, but I also know of a few hunters that are "deer slayers" using multiple pins.

Now, I use an adjustable single pin sight. It rocked my world, literally (read my thoughts on my HHA Optimizer).  It is so versatile.  It helped me with longer distance shots on 3D and Field shoots (up to 80 yards). I "X'ed" the 80 yarder at the tweep shoot. I also GUARANTEE YOU ONE THING: I WILL NOT HAVE TO ADJUST MY PIN ON A HUNTING SITUATION BECAUSE I WILL NOT SHOOT PAST 30 YARDS. I KNOW MY BOW, BOW SET-UP, MY EFFECTIVE RANGE & RESPONSIBLITY AS A BOWHUNTER. Would this change out west on an Elk hunt? Sure it will, but only in distances, not approach and preparedness. Key point: responsible shot.  If the deer (or elk) is walking away or running away (especially spooked), simple - don't take the shot regardless of how many pins.  

My fellow #loucrew brother showed up with his single pin HHA Optimizer, shot amazingly well, improved his groups, and he made sure to let me know, ha ha. Good job bro, you kicked ass!  I know he is going to establish his effective range. I know he is going to be a responsible hunter with his shot selection. If the deer spooks, there's always tomorrow. Besides, we don't go afield to kill a deer, we go to hunt.

Last, but not least, like selecting your bow, it is all a personal preference. WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU. Like the response from the opening comment, "...Don't knock it till you try it just sayin".

Moral of the story?:  Be responsible.

Happy hunting, may your freezers be filled with back straps and your homes with joy!

"How I Roll"

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment